Friday, November 18, 2016

Week 11: Character Relationships and Thanksgiving (week of 11/18/16)

This week was similar to last week. We worked on our Independent Book Projects a bit in class. We studied a new list of vocabulary words in "The Outsiders" (complete with Quizlet Live, Kahoot, and a quiz). We also studied character relationships within "The Outsiders".

I want my students to look at how each character is related to the others in the group. Are they related by blood or are they friends? Do they have a stronger connection, things in common? What pulled these characters together and what keeps them together? Who's most likely to desert the group? Why? These are all questions we pondered as we worked on our "Character Relationships" handout. As a class, we discussed their relationships and discovered that the Curtis brothers (Ponyboy, Sodapop, and Darry) are the family at the core of the larger family, the greasers. The Curtis brothers are related by blood while the rest of the gang is considered family, but aren't blood-related. We also talked about the idea of fitting in when answering the question, "who is most likely to desert or leave the group?" There were many different, great answers. I love how my classes are looking deeper into these characters to find out what makes them tick. It's so easy with these books because there's an instant connection to the characters. Everyone immediately falls in love with these characters and it's inspiring to see my students so excited to talk about and read this book.

Lastly, I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving break. I'm truly thankful to work in such an amazing community with the best kids on the planet. I love what I'm doing and people like you only make it easier. Thank you for being a part of this journey and affording me the opportunity to do what I love.

Question for the dinner table/drive home:
1. What is your Independent Book Project goal for over Thanksgiving break? How will your efforts over Thanksgiving break affect your overall project?


Warmest wishes,
Kevin Laffin

Class website: https://sites.google.com/a/slcusd.org/laffin/home

Join my Remind classes to receive reminders and updates. Text the following codes to 81010:
Period 1- @laffin1
Period 2- @laffin2
Period 3- @laffin3
Period 4- @laffin4
AVID (Period 6)- @avidlams

No comments:

Post a Comment